The salamander in many, and probably surprising, ways symbolises the political nature of Newropeans
- The salamander is a symbol of the ‘Renaissance’. Renaissance is an important historical reference for us - a period marking the transition from medieval to modern times, a humanistic movement reviving intellectual, artistic, philosophical achievements which spread throughout Europe.
- The salamander symbolizes cold/rationality versus fire/extremism. In ancient myths, it was said to extinguish fire. Newropeans is a rationally conceived project (time limited, outside right/left divide, only EU elections). It is a tool, an artefact, a project -to oppose burning trends of nationalism, xenophobia or racism which are fuelled by non rationale fears and feelings.
- The salamander symbolizes courage and indestructibility, hence our willingness to question existing structures. It also symbolises ‘fragility’- and Newropeans is also still a tiny animal.
- The salamander belongs to our common cultural legacy, just like democracy is part of our political legacy.
- And, last but not least, look at a map of the EU turned upside down. You will discover that the EU 27 looks like a salamander: head (Spain and Portugal), forelegs (Italy and British Isles), rear legs (Bulgaria/Romania and Denmark), tail (Scandinavia) and body (the other member states). So the current EU actually shapes a salamander...